What to do if you receive a letter regarding an investigation into a General Misconduct allegation.
Contact Student Rights + Support who can guide you through the process.
What is General Misconduct?
General misconduct is unacceptable behaviour that is likely to cause harm, injury or damage, such as:
- threatening or causing physical or psychological harm
- harassment, intimidation, stalking, bullying, hazing, vilification
- non-consensual sexual contact
- damage to or interference with property of the University or of another person
- breaching a law of a country in which the student is located for the purposes of a university activity
- breaching a University statute, University regulation or a published policy or procedure of the University
- disrupting the orderly conduct of a University activity
- engaging in dishonest or fraudulent activity
- failing to comply with a reasonable direction of a member of staff, including a request made by a security officer to produce identification
- possessing unauthorised material in an exam
Who can report General Misconduct to the university?
A staff member who has reasonable grounds to believe that a student has committed a misconduct offence, must report the matter to the Responsible Officer. In conduct of a sexual nature, the staff member cannot make a report unless they have the consent of the person whom the misconduct was directed towards.
A student can report the misconduct to a staff member. In conduct of a sexual nature, a student can also report the matter to Safer Communities and the student will be informed of their options.
What happens if Monash University considers that a student may have engaged in General Misconduct?
As part of the investigation into the matter, the University will send you a letter outlining the suspected breach or allegations. You will be asked to fill in the response form and/or attend a meeting.
Contact Student Rights + Support as soon as you receive this letter.
For further questions and advice:
MONSU Student Rights + Support
P: +61 3 9903 2596