Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) & HECS-HELP

Are you eligible to have units removed from your pass rate calculation?

What is a CSP?

A (CSP) is a place at a university for domestic students where the government pays part of your fees. This part is a subsidy, not a loan, and you don't have to pay it back.

What is a student contribution amount?

The remaining portion of your fees is called the 'student contribution amount', this is a loan which you are liable for.


HECS-HELP is a loan to pay for your student contribution amount. This loan will eventually have to be paid back.

Can my HECS-HELP be stopped?

From January 1 2022, beginning students or students transferring courses who fail more than 50% after completing 8 units will not be allowed to continue in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) nor receive HECS-HELP unless they can prove special circumstances to have the failed units removed from the calculation. 

What are special circumstances?

Circumstances that make it impossible for you to complete the requirements of the unit may include:

  • medical

  • family/personal

  • employment-related 

  • course-related  

You’ll also satisfy this requirement if you’re unable to:

  • complete the necessary private study required, attend sufficient lectures or tutorials, or meet other compulsory attendance requirements to meet your course requirements

  • complete the required assessable work

  • sit the required exams, or

  • complete any other course requirements because of your inability to meet the three requirements above.

Click here for more information.

When do I need to apply?

You need to apply for special circumstances within 10 working days of the release of results. You will need to provide supporting documents.


How can I get HECS-HELP again if it is stopped?

If you can continue in your course as full fee paying, you can requalify for HECS-HELP once your pass rate reaches 50%.

For further questions and advice: 

MONSU Student Rights + Support 
P: +61 3 9903 2596